Big and small triumphs


Today, I taught a kid to read. LL is an immigrant and has not yet learned English well. He can communicate speaking, but his English is bad, and he can’t read or write. It makes me so sad that he can’t read or write yet and is in 3rd grade. Pandemic cheated him out of a lot of instruction during 1st and 2nd grades. I wonder if he participated at all when school was remote. Another factor is that he is hyperactive, and the teacher doesn’t have time to reign him in and additionally tutor him.

Well, I took him, and I also brought along two girls of the same age, FT and MQ. FT is one of the two most brilliant kids in her class, and MQ is an enthusiastic kid who loves to read with me. We went to a quiet room and read Hop on Pop (by Dr Seuss) together. The kids and I took turns reading, and I made LL read what we had just read. He figured out some words. At the end, I smiled big and said, “You’re reading English!” He put on a discouraged face and said he’s not doing so well. I said, “You will get better with practice. Read at home with your family.” He said he could do that, and I will ask him if it’s happening. His family may be overwhelmed with life in this country.

I dropped the three off at Art class, and to say goodbye, they all hugged me. That was the first hug I received as a tutor, and maybe it will seem insignificant when I look back at this years from now, but it felt like a big deal to me. I think it means I’m reaching them. I’m also pretty glad I got the star student together (FT) with the outcast, as she was at first reluctant to work with him. She tossed up her nose at the thought of reading Hop on Pop, a book intended for kids younger than she is. But she saw the fun that MQ and I were having, and after a bit of time, she couldn’t stay back.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet subway commute

The Girl in the Dark

Teacher’s Assistant